Videos of Sermons and Talks
- “Tears of Grief and Regeneration” I was Director at La Casa de Maria retreat center when January 9, 2018, debris flow took a number of lives in our community, destroyed a major part of our property and shut down all operations. Six days later there was a community vigil at the local courthouse lawn and I offered a 4 minute reflection on the experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWx7fwLzUc&feature=youtu.be
- “Living Faithfully in the Tragic Gap” — a sermon on balancing aspiration and disappointment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kFxhntN0cI&feature=youtu.be
- “The Wheel of Fortune and the Tenacity of Grace” We look at an old Jewish folktale, the ancient belief in a “Wheel of Fortune” and the grace that is always available to us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZxpuMFiwJ4&feature=youtu.be
- “It’s Still Me in Here” A video of a sermon on aging bodies and our renewing inner spirit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6haPaQe5K10&feature=youtu.be
- “For All the Saints” A video of a sermon on how “saints” don’t have to be pure, pious and perfect to have an impact on our lives and the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jONaDYyE95Q&feature=youtu.be
- “Choose Life:” As my time as interim pastor at St. Andrew’s was concluding in the fall of 2020, political turmoil and race were constant topics that concerned us all. I felt a need to identify two other issues that I deeply believe are critical to our survival. The first is obvious, the second not so much; it involves the formula b+c+d=hh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEI9GCNYbUQ&feature=youtu.be
- A very kind tribute from the St. Andrew’s congregation on my last Sunday with them, November 15, 2020:
Disciple Dog has been a constant companion, helping me find clarity in many situations — usually in less than four minutes.
- “Keep It Simple” — Early in the COVID lockdown, he helped me find some simple things to focus on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w7bEZlfCLg&feature=youtu.be
- “What the Spirit Can Do for Us” — Disciple Dog teaches has three friends visit to show me what the Spirit can do in our lives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkEVW33FXsw&feature=youtu.be
- “Disciple Dog in the Storm” Early in the COVID lockdown, Disciple Dog had a dream about being in a storm. His dream offers some insights for us as we reflect on what it’s been like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxyWTBBky_U
Articles and Printed Sermons
- “Fear, Faith, Friends — and Courage” This is the first sermon I wrote after the COVID lockdown. We weren’t set up for video yet, so it was a written piece. Based on Psalm 23 and my own life experience, I identified four key themes that would enable us to endure the pandemic. Looking back 10 months later, I feel it was on point and worth remembering for other challenges in life. To read it, click here.
- “Soul-Keeping in the Digital Age” A report I presented at the 2005 UNESCO conference in Seattle is a summary of five years of research and reflection on how the emergence of digital technology was shaping our daily life. My research included interviews in Silicon Valley and India, and a term as “Visiting Scholar” with the Religious Studies department at UCSB. I was honored to see this piece included in a volume published in Russia.